For any Kentucky family wishing to adopt a child who is legally committed to another state the following procedures are utilized:
- The foster/adoptive family submits a CHFS 305 form to the Records Management Section for their home study at: Records Management Section, 3E-G 275 East Main Street Frankfort, Kentucky 40621
- The Records Management Section sends a copy of the adoptive home study to the prospective adoptive parents upon receipt of the home study from the R&C worker. The packet should include the following:
- A home study;
- Background checks;
- The training record; and
- The most recent re-evaluation.
- The SAFE questionnaires are not to be shared with the family.
- The foster/adoptive family may submit their home study to other state agencies if they are interested in a child committed to that state agency.
- If the family is chosen for adoption of a child committed to another state, a Kentucky SW does not perform any case management duties unless both ICPC offices have approved the placement and the sending state has notified Kentucky of placement.
- Requests for supervision will come to the region from the ICPC office to the centralized intake unit (CI) as a request for supervision and will continue until the adoption occurs or the placement disrupts.
- The ICPC office will notify the courtesy supervision worker and R&C FSOS when the need for supervision is over and the case is closed.
For any Kentucky family attempting to adopt a child who is legally committed to an out-of-state private agency, the Deputy Compact Administrator (DCA):
- Refers any Kentucky family wishing to adopt a child who is legally committed to a licensed private adoption agency in another state to a listing of Kentucky’s licensed private adoption agencies and assists in guiding the family to the correct interstate process for private adoptions;
- Completes any Regulation 12 adoptions regarding private or independent adoptions in accordance with KRS 615.030;
- Advises that placement cannot be made until both states have signed the ICPC-100A Interstate Compact Placement Request and that the Kentucky private adoption agency worker contacts the ICPC DCA for assistance; and
- Assists local staff by accepting referrals of families who require further information regarding the private interstate adoption process.