Contingencies and Clarifications
If a medically complex child becomes hospitalized, the SSW completes the following tasks:
- Notifies the medically complex liaison, who in turn, notifies the Medical Support Section within seventy-two (72) hours; and
- Ensures that the child has a responsible adult, excluding hospital staff, present at all times.
- When a child is placed in the home of a relative or out of state, the SSW:
- Ensures that the placement provider submits documentation from a medical provider that they are able to meet the medical needs of the child;
- Collects the DPP-104C Medically Complex Monthly Report and provides a copy to the Medically Complex Liaison and Medical Support Section.
- Phone verification with the physician, nurse or hospital social worker is acceptable documentation for confirmation of the child’s diagnosis. The Commission for Children with Special Health Care Needs may be contacted to assist with securing this information if the SSW encounters issues.
- If the child is in an intensive care unit, a responsible adult is not required to be present at all times.